Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Lantern Festival

May 14th, 2010  Lantern Festival
Seoul, Korea


Before we left Korea, we were trying to pack as many cultural events in as possible.  One of those events was visiting the Lantern Festival.  Throughout the day there are many events happening, such as lantern making, pottery classes among other but the culminating event is the parade of softly glowing lanterns being carried by men and women, young and old through the streets of down town Seoul.  It was a beautiful site.  
I hope you enjoy the photos.
 
 During cultural festivals, often times people will wear some of their Hanbok clothing.  I always liked it.  It looks so comfortable. 

Police men were busy keeping the crowds off the street in preparation for the parades. 

Ladies in their Hanbok.

The crowds lining the street were intense.  The people who were sitting on top of the subway glass overhang were eventually kicked off.  I was tempted to crawl up there to get some better pics too but didn't want to be the straw that broke the glass panels and have all 20 of us go tumbling to our deaths.  



P.S. I'm slowly working my way towards a Shanghai post.  Stay tuned... 

3 comments:

Jamie Garlick said...

Wow, that is so beautiful! What a rich culture! Will you miss it?

ctraen said...

Great photos! I bet it is nice to reminisce. I can't wait to see and hear what is going on in China!

loren and sarah said...

Thanks for the comments people. I already miss Korea a bit but Shanghai is really keeping me distracted.