Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cherry Blossoms! It's Spring!

Cherry Blossoms





After a long and I mean LONG winter, I've finally put my winter coat away and pulled out the t-shirts. This weekend was great! I heard about a Cherry Blossom Festival in Yeouido, Seoul and decided I must go pay homage to the beautiful messengers of Spring. Sarah, Crystal, Loren and I all jumped on a bus- then a taxi to get to Yeouido Park hoping to be surrounded by beauty. Our taxi started to get into some heavy traffic and we could see some blossoming trees on the side of the road so we figured we were there. We said, "Chogi yo" and he pulled over to let us out. We started to walk with the crowd to see what could be seen but ended up in a strange park that was under construction. Where was the famed Cherry Blossom Festival that we travel nearly 2 hours to see? The Koreans seemed to be enjoying their Saturday by having a picnic on the dirt or strolling past the construction equipment and we were seriously beginning to wonder if we were in fact at the Cherry Blossom festival. We kept on walking determined to see what the big deal was and finally found the actual festival. It was beautiful. In typical Korean fashion, the actual Cherry Blossom festival was packed. I'm glad that I'm growing accustomed to crowds.



There were also some beautiful floral sculptures to see along the way.

After the Cherry Blossoms, we hoped in another cab to Itaewon to eat some Thai food and later decided to end the day with a couple beers at one of the many swanky establishments in the area.
Weekends like these really make me glad I moved overseas. I'm glad to say that Korea is slowly becoming home.

No comments: